Sunday, August 01, 2004

What a Wonderful World

Pardon the occasional self-obsessed entry.


Isn't human expression an amazing (for some, terrifying) facet of life?

From the arts to science to philosophy, man's artefacts are all an expression of man's creativity, in every sense of the word.

Even handphone photography's considered art.

Evidently man needs to express himself and communicate his ideas and emotions. Meanwhile the rest of us listen and appreciate.

I used to aspire to be a writer, till I became obsessed with my zits (my friends used to call me ang gu kueh). Surprisingly it was my honours year thesis that relit this joy of expression. Through advice and criticisms from people around me - mainly my professor and G - I wrote and re-wrote draft after @#$%ing draft.

One question that was repeatedly asked of me and today has become my guiding light when writing,

"what do you want to say?"

In last week's Sunday Times, Janadas Devan muses about the music of language and how writing is really an exercise in logic.

As I have complained to many, wringing my mind for creative juices to whet my next blog entry on yet another noteworthy experience in my life can be quite tiresome but immensely satisfying and self-affirming nonetheless.

Yes, scouring Dictionary.com and Merriam Webster for the right adjective can be very arduous.

That's why I consider this site my pride and joy. After all, it landed me a job offer :)

Often the thought of stopping blogging has crossed my mind.

*and all ardent fans of Everybody Loves Edmund gasp and faint*

After every entry, I always remark beggingly to G, I haven't any substantial point to make in there, have I?

Some of my ideas for blog entries simply failed to materialize because I didn't think I'd any substantial points to make. Thankfully most do.

One of my early ideas included "Viva la Blog" (originally conceived as "Blogging about Blogging" till I realized how common that blog entry title is).

So why did I really start to blog?

*cue patriotic music played while a motivational speech is made before heading off to certain death while warring with tribe of cannibalistic barbarians*

I wish for my entries to intrigue and spark contemplation about deep issues, to heighten appreciation for things in life that are otherwise inconspicuous or uninteresting, and to inspire others to do great things.

Alright, the last is a tad ambitious.

I take it upon myself, the unassuming journalist cum columnist on our boresome lives, to provide highly readable blogs supported by relatively reliable information. Thankfully I value privacy and therefore practise restrain in revealing bits of my personal life while striving to make *ahem* insightful observations or ponderous statements about life and our existence.

Can't help it if I was blessed with a good grasp of the English language, proficient HTML programming, a curious yet divine sense of humour, and a naggingly humane urge to educate and inform.

Just like Carrie Bradshaw, I get my input and inspiration from things around me - people, animals, happenings, memories, sights, sounds, smells...

One website I like to visit is fray.com, where people like you and I tell their life stories, some of hope and anticipation, some of regret and sadness, but most are poignant and utterly human.

My point? Haven't really got one.

What a Wonderful World
Louis Armstrong


I see trees of green........ red roses too
I see ’em bloom..... for me and for you
And I think to myself.... what a wonderful world

I see skies of blue..... clouds of white
Bright blessed days....dark sacred nights
And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world

The colors of a rainbow.....so pretty ..in the sky
Are also on the faces.....of people ..going by
I see friends shaking hands.....sayin’.. how do you do
They’re really sayin’......i love you

I hear babies cry...... I watch them grow
They’ll learn much more.....than I’ll never know
And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world

Oh yeah

No comments: