Tuesday, November 23, 2004

A Spirit Endures

I'm a young old boy... an ACS old boy, that is! :)

At the SOUA, I met my secondary school principal, who has retained the spark in his eyes and an impressive eloquence, despite aging - the accompanying signs very much apparent.

For those in the know, I'm referring to Prof. Lawrence Chia whose namecard displays an intimidating list of acronyms (half unknown to me) trumpeting his life's achievements. But for all that, he was very much affable and took time to ask about me.

Interestingly, he mentioned an AC Psyche - one that is distinctively driven and willing to take on challenges. I'm tempted to declare "that's me!" but will let my future namecards do the talking.

It's amazing how one's formative years are so absolutely important - the friends you make, the people you meet, the things you do, for that matter, the things you didn't do! A personality is being moulded and a life is really being charted out.

Yet as my colleague lamented about her youthful idleness, "I regret not planning my future while I was younger".

To this, I replied that it's about nature and nurture - one's nature and how one is nurtured. But we are all free to create our destiny - nope, not a winning Anthony-Robbins' catch-phrase, but a truth that carries hope.

Alright, too many motivational words there, though it is the truth. But as Jack Nicholson agitatedly reminds us, "you can't handle the truth!"

No comments: