Sunday, December 26, 2004

A New Year Beckons: What Do You Want?

Life is tragic simply because the earth turns and the sun inexorably rises and sets, and one day, for each of us, the sun will go down for the last, last time.


James Arthur Baldwin




As the year draws to an end, some of us stop to reflect upon the hits and misses through our endeavours (or the lack thereof) in the past 12 months.

Where am I going? Where am I headed? What do I want? What does my family expect of me? What does God have in store for me?

One thing we must never take for granted is life itself, for we never know when and how any of us will go - just like how thousands across Asia were killed by sea surges while we blissfully celebrated Christmas.

Thank God I live in Singapore, sheltered from the like of such natural disasters.

Choosing directions in life and devising plans to reach our destinations is not a once-a-year exercise that takes up 2 more pages in your diary; it is a daily effort that demands fixing your vision on personal goals and aligning your actions and activities towards achieving them.

Of course, I could have copied all of that from a motivational book somewhere right?

The real challenge is in putting this mantra to work and actually making things happen.



I often taunt G's dog - aptly named Dog - by asking it agitatedly, "WHAT DO YOU WANT?!"

Dog then jumps enthusiastically in response and caninely communicates his immediate pressing desire, be it a doggie treat or his favourite bear that is out of reach or an overwhelming urge to check out the excitment elsewhere in the house.

He's annoying in that way and if his desires are unmet, Dog will most certainly resort to incessant whiney objection coupled with heart-melting puppy eyes.

What do you want?

Wanna run a full 42km marathon? Wanna start a business? Wanna muster up enough courage to date that girl from another department? Wanna do something about that bad habit of picking your nose in public?

Just as David of Channel I's Six Weeks and, closer to home, my sec 2 English teacher (that's Kam Choo Choo for those in the know) both reminded me, we must live everyday like it's our last.

1 comment:

tshush said...

I've noticed that you have used the line often enough... but it is truely possible to live everyday like your last? On my more pragmatic view... the daily concious attempt at it would seem to me as ironically conteractive...