Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Put Off the Old



Good ol' Victoria Concert Hall, place of many fond memories. Attended countless concerts there, especially in secondary school. Guess student tickets are way cheaper or as the SYO kids tell you, the ushers would just let us sneak in.

Way back in primary school, I was in the school band (somebody cough geek) - had tonnes of fun in the band anyhow. On 1 saturday afternoon, the teacher in charge, Ms Kok (whose name was the butt of many mean primary school jokes, but she's nice ok?), brought some of us to see SSO in concert and the Smurf fans in us instantly recognized the Gargamel theme. There my love for classical music must have began.




Good ol' organ, part instrument tt yielded much music-making fun, part play-place for the wild imaginative young mind. Now junked to make way for a new sofa set.

Another time in primary school I joined the talent-time contest and had to audition first. I dutifully picked out one of my favourite songs and ripped it out of the score book. Somehow I lost tt score and had to find another tune to replace. That book was actually a compilation of chinese popular tunes, so I chose the other one my teacher made me master - Shanghai Tan. I don't remember hearing anyone sniggering during the audition, neither was I embarassed. Was briefly disappointed when I didn't make the cut.
One of Jesus' parables:
Then He spoke a parable to them: "No one puts a piece from a new garment on an old one; otherwise the new makes a tear, and also the piece that was taken out of the new does not match the old. And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; or else the new wine will burst the wineskins and be spilled, and the wineskins will be ruined. But new wine must be put into new wineskins, and both are preserved. And no one, having drunk old wine, immediately desires new; for he says, "The old is better." (Luke 5:37-39)

No comments: