Saturday, January 21, 2006

Questions & OB Markers

In yesterday's Straits Times (20 Jan, Review section), I thought Catherine Lim presented a rather honest & perceptive commentary about Singapore as a political state. Particularly, "The Experiment" with which she ended her exposition, while superficially amusing, struck home in me what feels like a sense of dread.

Now, I'm no lunchtime political critic, but am definitely discerning enough to notice the invisible but undeniably-existent blanket of fear which Catherine Lim describes. Including acknowledging that I myself is guilty of the apathy and ignorance most Singaporeans are accused of.

Just the other day, a colleague spotted my "I Love Singapore" decal stuck on my cubicle window and then dug at me, "What? You love Singapore?" To which, I non-hesitatingly smiled and replied, "Yes, I really do." For the next hour, internal ripples of self-questioning follow - what do I really love about Singapore? Immediately, political stability and economic prosperity came to mind - didn't bring much comfort though.

Much credit has been given to LKY for bringing Singapore thus far, most saliently, in terms of economic success and a determined political will (readTime magazine: The man who saw it all, Economist.com: suggested readings about Singapore). And much has been said: that Singapore, a small island state with limited resources, can ill afford to ignore the winds of change, blowing hard.

While surfing for info, I stumbled upon this article Singapore: Life is NOT a bed of roses. Courtesy of ThinkCentre.org, "the internet portal of Think Centre, an independent, multi-partisan political non-governmental organisation (NGO) in Singapore. First registered as a business (RCB) on 16 Jul 1999 and today as a society (under ROS) on 20 Oct 2001, the Centre aims to critically examine issues related to political development, democracy, rule of law, human rights and civil society. Think Centre's activities include research, publishing, organising events and networking."

Playing the Cash Flow game last night did make me realize the meaning of being caught in a rat race and making ends meet. Now what does life in Singapore truly hold for me and what dreams to pursue?

Questions, questions, but G's zipping over to pick me up for lunch. Till next time...

1 comment:

Lemming said...

I can't really imagine that decal...

Where's the "I survived National Service" and "My son went to National Service and all he got was NRS" stickers like we talked about!