Friday, May 09, 2008

Friend seeker



This shows the full meaning of the Scripture that says: "Abraham believed God, and God accepted Abraham's faith, and that faith made him right with God." And Abraham was called God's friend. James 2:23 (NCV)

Watched Superhero Movie with D my old pal. As sillily slapstick it was, it speaks of how we all long for a secret power that makes us invincible while remaining human and true to ourselves.

In SOT, we're learning about the person of God... the Holy Spirit. More than a spooky presence, He's as real as you and me, and comes bearing an immeasurable love along with gifts and secrets. And it all begins with an invitation to begin a relationship.

And it's really a friendship of mutual listening. After all, what do friends do? What makes you feel loved when you meet a friend? When someone gives you time of day?

A couple of friends called me tonight and I realised all they really wanted was a listening ear. I don't feel like I've done much, yet one thanked me for my friendship. Such is the simple faith of a simple man. And it's simply wonderful!

I surmise that leadership is a call to lay down one's life for his friends. By being available, by bearing them on his shoulders and in prayer, by selflessly influencing them for the better...

And so we come full circle to the R-word - Relationship (the opposite of Rejection?)

How does one relate? How does one open one's heart? How does one become a friend?

Receive, rejoice and release, perhaps?

1 comment:

JasonOng said...

How does one relate? How does one open one's heart? How does one become a friend?

By reading your blog bro :P