Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Seeing is believing


Homeless Irishman in Spitalfields


Mother and Child in Biafra


Bangladesh


Shell Shocked Soldier

Don McCullin (1953 to present), one of the greatest war photographers, and throughout the 1960's and 1970's he covered events of global importance for the Sunday Times Magazine including the Vietnam war.

From BBC interview in 2005: "I think it made me search myself. It's nothing to do with photography. We are, as human beings, obliged to search ourselves. Are we having the lives we want? Are we doing the right things we should be doing? Are we addressing certain questions that we must address in our lives?

"I felt deeply ashamed because I've always prided myself on being the man who cares, the man whose timing was right, the man who sought consent. I didn't do it that day. Everything was happening fast and I responded in the wrong way by taking that picture. I have that picture of that woman to this day."

No comments: