Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Who wants to save the earth?



Caught Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth (2006) on DVD last night. Must say, it's stirred me up in an uncomfortable yet familiar way. He's got a book of the same title and a newer title, Our Choice (2009) which supposedly spells out a blueprint for tackling the climate crisis.

I went to bed with this thought, I don't want to go to bed every night with the perpetual smell of haze in the air. I also thought away switching from hardcopy books to e-books.

This morning, I chose not to buy my usual take-away tea a la styrofoam, health concerns on the back of my mind even as I type this.

Then I logged onto NYTimes which reported about car-makers's rising demand for lithium and the accompanying plants and mines to meet this demand - surely the word "mines" raises environmental alarm bells.

As I shared my newfound knowledge in barely hidden We-Must-Save-Mother-Gaia undertones with colleagues over lunch, one wondered aloud, "Going paperless but building more computers and servers, or building solar panels which in turn require energy to produce... Are these things really helping the situation?"

Another manager nodded and echoed, "Are we throwing the problem around?" My mind conjured up images of slash-and-burn deforestation but I didn't reply.

Alright, enough lunchtime blogging for now. Back to my paperful desk.

No comments: